Mac Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac Conversion

Does anyone know how to convert *.scn, *net, or *.sav, files so that they work on a mac?
    Vote Democrat
    Support Democracy

Re: Mac Conversion

Originally posted by POTUS
    Does anyone know how to convert *.scn, *net, or *.sav, files so that they work on a mac?
    I use an excellent programm: Civ II Scenario Converter. If you can't find it, I'll email it to you. Beware that the programm does not convert bmp files; you have to convert them to gif first.

Comment

Scn, net and save files are really usable as they are.
      The only thing civ converter does is to change the filetype, I usualy do this manually instead (civ converter is excelent for quickly converting the gif files to picts and wave files to aiff though). The program also doesn't do anything with the text files.
      No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Re: Re: Mac Conversion

Originally posted by Justinianum
        I use an excellent programm: Civ II Scenario Converter. If you can't find it, I'll email it to you. Beware that the programm does not convert bmp files; you have to convert them to gif first.
        Are you referring to the application available from the Apolyton website here ?

Wow! I didn't realize anyone was using it. How has it been working for you? Would you like a newer version?

Comment

The net files work for you Henrik? They don't work for me. Civ II Scenario Converter works well. However, it doesn't change *.sav and *.net files which are the problem.
          Vote Democrat
          Support Democracy

Comment

Re: Re: Mac Conversion

Beware that the programm does not convert bmp files; you have to convert them to gif first.
            Actually, there was an update (ver .91) which does convert .bmp files as well. Unfortunately it was completed around the time our former moderator "MacUser" went offline for good. Thus, it was never posted to Apolyton, and never gained wide distribution.

POTUS, which specific scenario are you having problems with? Can you post a link to it?

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Mac Conversion

Originally posted by Insane

Are you referring to the application available from the Apolyton website here ?

Wow! I didn't realize anyone was using it. How has it been working for you?
              Are you the author? Thanks a lot man: this app was invaluable for solving some pixel problems with image files.

Would you like a newer version?
              Yeees

Comment

The problems are not specifically with it, but that it doesn't convert save-game files. Also, can you post the new version?
                Vote Democrat
                Support Democracy

Comment

Boy, I really need to stop working these 75+ hour weeks...

Are you the author?
                  Guilty.

Originally posted by POTUS
                  The problems are not specifically with it, but that it doesn't convert save-game files.
                  Hmm, never seen anyone request that before... I don't think I've ever seen a scenario that needed a saved game file.

Also, can you post the new version?
                  Let me hunt down a moderator and see what I can arrange.

Comment

An updated version would indeed be nice. Especially on that converts .net files as well. It's so tedious to do it manually and it's required to play pbems...

Comment

The scenarios themselves don't need the save-gam files, but for PBEMs, Democracy Games, and just regular games i.e. comparision games that I download.
                      Vote Democrat
                      Support Democracy

Comment

Hmm, I'm sensing a trend here...

So, in a pbem game, wouldn't you need to convert it back to PC to send in on to the next (presumably PC) player?

What exactly is the .net file, and what exactly needs to be done to it... manual, repetitive tasks generally can easily be coded. Tasks which require intelligence or decision making are more problematic.

Also, pointers to sample PC scenarios containing these items would be helpful. It's much easier to do this sort of thing with test cases.

Comment

Let me hunt down a moderator and see what I can arrange.
                          Ok, well this hasn't worked out too well.

If you'd like a copy, PM me with your email address and I'll send you a copy (it's only 56K stuffed.)

I have located a PC scenario that has a saved game, so I'll look into adding translation for that in my copious free time.

I still haven't found any .net files, and I'm not sure what to do with them anyway. So don't expect that any time soon.

Comment

All that needs to be done on .net files is to change type and creator for civ to recognice them.
                            Check the civ 2 pbem forum for loads and loads of them to examine (it's the save format used for online games and therefore also for PBEMs).

The filetype code for a .net file should be "Cv2N" and the creator code should be: "Civ2"

This is needed for civ to recognice the file. I've written this in res edit so many times I know those codes very well by now. I used to have a program which allowed me to automate the filetype/creator change via ctrl clicking them in the finder but unfortunatly I havent been able to find something similar for OS X.

If you'd like a copy, PM me with your email address and I'll send you a copy (it's only 56K stuffed.)
                            Send to henrik@strategyinformer.com
                            Last edited by Henrik; January 27, 2004, 16:52.

Comment

Oh, well if that's all that is needed... I can add that tonight.

Hmm... as I read back I see that you noted this, in a manner that was a bit to subtle for me, in the third message.

Comment

Working...
                              X