Is Civ 2 Retro Yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Civ 2 Retro Yet?

Judging by traffic on Civ 2 related sites, there's still a lot of interest in this 7 year old game. So, my question is: are the people currently enjoying the game all sad geeks (such as myself ), or has Civ 2 become retro and hip with todays young folks?
    Yes - everybody playing it is riding the wave of popular culture
    18.60%
    No - we're all geeks and/or just hate Civ 3
    67.44%
    Banana!
    13.95%
    'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
    - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

I don't think it's retro - at least not in the same way that Space Invaders or Pacman is, but it's quite simply the best Civ game. Civ 3 made improvements on Civ 2, but also cocked certain things up and although many will consider it the better game, particularly those who have never played Civ 2 (), it is basically a matter or personal choice and we happy few (hundred, on the various websites at least ) have chosen the second incarnation of Civ to fulfil our megalomanic needs!
    Civ 2 - It's cheaper than running for President and there's less outcry when you want to play with nukes!

Comment

Civ 2 - simply the best!
      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

The fact that we still play it is a true testament to its depth and versatility.

Comment

Doing a thing because it is considered retro seems to imply that the thing is only being done because it is old. Judging by the comments of the folk who frequent here, this group is far from being the shallow, empty-headed trend followers that the term retro calls to mind. We are far too witty, sophisticated, intelligent and subtle of thought to do something because it is old!!

I am quite sure we "still play Civ2" because we love it. There is no other like it. It is the best!!!

Monk being
          so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody Monk
            I am quite sure we "still play Civ2" because we love it. There is no other like it. It is the best!!!

Monk being
            100% agreed

LF being
            Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Not all of us consider ourselves geeks, but it is not cutting-edge or super popular.
              Vote Democrat
              Support Democracy

Comment

I'm a geek
                "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Of course we must admit that it's retro. How else could we otherwise brag that we are old skool retro gamers?
                  "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Bah!

Since Civ2 is clearly the superior product it could never be retro—not until the DOS/Windows based platform itself is retro.

That day may come sooner that the experts think. Judging by massive resource hog XP, Windows may extinct itself in the face of Open Source OS.
                    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

CivIII sucked. So the only alternative for us die hards was to continue playing II.

RAH
                      Die hards sounds better than geeks
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

And it's more accurate.

Comment

If I read the forums correctly, Civ 3 has about twice as many total posts as Civ 2 (~327,000+ vs. ~168,000+). That simple evidence suggests that Civ 3 is currently more popular than Civ 2. But, for a game that's about seven years old to be drawing half as much attention as its two?-year-old offspring is pretty impressive, I think. As others have said, it's just a much better game. (Of course, different opinions might be found on some other forum .)

Comment

Originally posted by debeest
                            If I read the forums correctly, Civ 3 has about twice as many total posts as Civ 2 (~327,000+ vs. ~168,000+). That simple evidence suggests that Civ 3 is currently more popular than Civ 2.
                            Or they're better spammers
                            "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                            "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

It is undoubtedly true that more people play Civ3. However, the point about Civ2's age is a telling one. We have to wait until Civ3 has been around for 7 years and see if it still has the pull Civ2 has now.

Comment

Working...
                              X