• Show
Clear All

• Hey Karzai, What's The Deal?

Afghan editor flees to safety in Canada
    Persecution shows democracy a distant dream, victim fears

Jake Rupert
    The Ottawa Citizen

Monday, October 27, 2003

Mir Hussain Mahdavi has fled Afghanistan with his wife and two children after a death sentence from an Afghan religious court. 'If I thought it would have changed anything, I would have stayed in Kabul and died, but I hold little hope of true democracy coming to Afghanistan,' he said.

A crusading Afghan newspaper editor, whose democratic views prompted Islamic leaders in Kabul to put a bounty on his head, is alive and well and living with his family in Canada after fleeing his home country.

Mir Hussain Mahdavi, 31, his wife, and his two daughters, aged seven and five months, arrived in Canada three weeks ago after a harrowing ordeal that observers say demonstrates a lack of commitment to democratic principles in the U.S.-backed transitional government of President Hamid Karzai.

Mr. Mahdavi came to Canada after being granted emergency refugee status.

After the Afghan Supreme Court decided to try him for defaming Islam and impose a death penalty this summer, Mr. Mahdavi had been in hiding in Islamabad, Pakistan for several weeks until the United Nation's High Commissioner for Refugees fast-tracked his case.

Canadian government officials would not talk about Canada's role in bringing Mr. Mahdavi here, citing concern for his privacy.

However, Mr. Mahdavi had no such concerns, provided the place where he is living is not identified.

"I am very happy to be in Canada," he said earlier this week through an interpreter. "This is a good country where freedom of speech is a right.

"I feel disappointed to leave Afghanistan because we had a new government, and we had high hopes that this government would bring democracy by the people for the people, but, unfortunately this is not the case.

"If I thought it would have changed anything, I would have stayed in Kabul and died, but I hold little hope of true democracy coming to Afghanistan."

Mr. Mahdavi, editor of the Kabul weekly Aftab (The Sun), and his assistant, Ali Reza Sistany, were arrested June 17 and charged with violating an Afghan press law prohibiting the publication of material considered defamatory to Islam. They were also charged under sharia law for offending Islam.

Aftab, which was started in March 2002, was considered the most progressive newspaper in Afghanistan, employing an independent, objective approach to news reporting and blunt editorial opinions.

Mr. Mahdavi published several opinion pieces urging the government to move to a more secular state by separating religion and politics. Furthermore, Mr. Mahdavi wrote and published editorials saying the government had to get rid of several current and former warlords who control important ministries.

The paper also urged that more scholars and intellectuals be appointed to key government positions.

One of the offending phrases in his paper was: "Religion plus governance is equal to despotism." This article was headlined: "Holy Fascism."

Mr. Mahdavi offended many in Kabul by naming names of people who, in his opinion, should not be in government, accusing some of being murderers, and by pushing for a non-religious, non-military government.

This kind of journalism is unheard of in Afghanistan, said John Sifton, Afghanistan researcher with New York City-based Human Rights Watch.

Following the arrests of Mr. Mahdavi and Mr. Sistany, police closed the newspaper's Kabul offices and pulled copies of the publication from newsstands.

After a week in jail and under international pressure from the UN and other groups, Mr. Mahdavi and Mr. Sistany, who has since escaped to Norway, were released by Mr. Karzai personally. However, Mr. Karzai said the men would be tried.

"We don't consider what they have written to be the freedom of the press" Mr. Karzai told Afghan reporters after ordering the men released. "Sincerely, my opinion is that ... it was a violation of the beliefs of the Afghan people, and they shouldn't have done that."

A struggle over how they were to be tried exposed a developing rift in the transitional government's approach to legal issues and system of government.

The country's Supreme Court Chief Justice Abdul Hadi Shinwari, regarded as a conservative who wants implementation of full Islamic law, wanted the men tried under sharia law, which would mean death if convicted.

The court's more moderate judges and others in government wanted them tried under the press law in a more democratic process, which would mean they would lose their press licence if convicted.

This trial took place in early August. Mr. Mahdavi attended, and he was acquitted of offending Islam.

After this however, the court's "fatwah" committee decision to also try Mr. Mahdavi under Islamic law and impose a death sentence was leaked. Several Islamic clerics also pronounced a fatwah on Mr. Mahdavi.

A fatwah is a form of religious bounty and anyone who kills a person subject to a fatwah is said to be rewarded in heaven.

With this news, Mr. Mahdavi decided to leave Kabul and Afghanistan immediately. He and his family went to Islamabad and hid out with friends until he was accepted as a refugee in Canada.

Several human rights and press freedom organizations lobbied the UN to help Mr. Mahdavi get to Canada.

Abi Wright, Asia program co-ordinator for the Committee to Protect Journalists, which lobbied on behalf of Mr. Mahdavi, said her group has been monitoring a deterioration of press freedom in Afghanistan for the last year.

"We've seen an increase in intimidation of journalists, attacks on journalists and suppression of speech," she said. "Mr. Mahdavi was very brave to write and publish the things he did, but he was also very controversial even with journalists in his own country."

Mr. Sifton, of Human Rights Watch, said Mr. Mahdavi's plight is an example of just how far away the country is from becoming a fully democratic nation.

"Freedom of expression is one of the keys to a democracy," he said. "Many other freedoms flow from it. If they are having problems with this, and Mr. Mahdavi's case shows this to be true, it isn't a good omen for the future."

He said the case shows just how influential Muslim clerics and judges have become in the transitional government because the moderates could not stop the case against Mr. Mahdavi or save him from the fatwah.

Mr. Sifton said the country's draft constitution almost guarantees citizens of Afghanistan will continue to be subject to the repressive social, cultural and political control of sharia law because it gives the judiciary, led by Mr. Shinwari, the power to review all government legislation to make sure it conforms to Islamic law.

He said if the goal of democracy in Afghanistan is to be met, amendments must be made to narrow the areas of society sharia law will be able to address.

"There has to be a clear division between this kind of court and normal courts," he said. "The case of Mr. Mahdavi shows there is no such division right now. And it's not just him. Other journalists are feeling pressure too."

He said police and military in Kabul, and even more so outside the capital, are quelling dissent or perceived anti-Islamic opinion with threats, beatings, robberies and road checkpoint extortions.

Mr. Sifton said the situation was created when religious leaders and warlords who helped the U.S. overthrow the Taliban were rewarded with positions in the transitional government while retaining their military and religious positions.

They are now using whatever means they can to retain and amass power leading up to next year's planned elections.

These people are ruling using fear, and most people are afraid of them, Mr. Sifton said. When Mr. Mahdavi stood up to them, the fear tactics failed, and when this happened, they used the judiciary as a weapon against him.

So deep-rooted is the fear, Mr. Sifton said, Afghans who agreed with Mr. Mahdavi's opinions would not come to his aid or defence because "it would have been suicide" to do so.

For now, Mr. Mahdavi, who is a devout Muslim, is planning on settling his family in his new surroundings, learning English, and looking for ways to support himself. He would like to find a job in journalism, but is willing to take any kind of work.

He also plans to start publishing Aftab again on an Internet website, which Afghans will be able to access.

He says he hopes one day he will be able to return to Afghanistan, but he is doubtful that day will come.

"I think what has happened to me shows that democracy and Islam can be taken advantage of as it has been in Afghan-istan," he said. "World governments should be careful of who they are helping in my country. If they continue to act as they are, all this effort might go to waste."

This is the kicker, to me:

<"We don't consider what they have written to be the freedom of the press" Mr. Karzai told Afghan reporters after ordering the men released. "Sincerely, my opinion is that ... it was a violation of the beliefs of the Afghan people, and they shouldn't have done that.">

This is what passes for a moderate over there? Sadly, the answer to that question is a resounding 'yes'.

Phooey.

Link
    "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
    "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
    "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

"A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine

Sorry to threadjack, but your sig is oddly appropriate.

Where does Tom Paine say this?
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Sorry to threadjack, but your sig is oddly appropriate.

Where does Tom Paine say this?
      According to this possibly untrustworthy website (this one ), it's from "The Rights Of Man" (1791).

Other sites cite him as saying it as late as 1793...

But let's say it's in "The Rights Of Man", if only for the sake of ease.
      "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
      "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

While this is bad, you can't expect a 13th century country can be time-warped into the present in a couple of years. Particularly when the economy is still in the dump.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

it is very sad to read this...but it always have been the case in countries where you force democracy apon the people...democracy only works if you have the people screaming for it...that hasnt happen in Afganhistan or in Irak...this is probably the problem with american thinking...i believe that democracy is right dont see me wrong...but you can force people to it...(and please dont make this a american sucks thread now...we all know it does...no but seriously )
          Bunnies!
          Welcome to the DBTSverse!
          God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
          'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

Yes another success for the Bush Administration! :
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

" Furthermore, Mr. Mahdavi wrote and published editorials saying the government had to get rid of several current and former warlords who control important ministries."

Probably the work of Fahim, the Defense Minister. Karzai, currently is trying to clip the wings of Dostum and Attah Muhammed, warlords who have fought with each other over Mazar I sharif, making it perhaps the least stable place in Afghanistan outside of the half dozen or so provinces where the Taliban are active. He's not about to take on thin-skinned Fahim at this moment.
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

More on what Karzai is doing about Mazar

Reshuffling in Mazar i Sharif
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

But let's say it's in "The Rights Of Man", if only for the sake of ease.
                  I hate having a quote in my head and not knowing where it comes from.

Thanks.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Karzai is just a Bush puppet... he's a former staffer for the oil company Unacol... IIRC, his influence is limited to a 30 mile radius of Kabul, other than that, it's the tribal warlords that control that region.
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                      Karzai is just a Bush puppet... he's a former staffer for the oil company Unacol... IIRC, his influence is limited to a 30 mile radius of Kabul, other than that, it's the tribal warlords that control that region.

Did you follow the link above? Karzai's control may be limited to Kabul and a half dozen adjacent provinces (plus Bamiyan), his influence extends to Kandahar and the entire Pashtun southeast, and to Konduz and Balkh in the north. The only areas that are outside his influence are the northeast (under Fahim's allies) and the west (under Ismail Khan). Hes been making slow but more or less steady progress.

Comment

Working...
                      X