• Show
Clear All

• Anti-gay preacher arrested for soliciting sex from a boy

ahahahahahaha, the irony is hilarious:

White faces charges for asking minor for sex
    Pa. police arrest firebrand 'Brother Stephen'

BY GILLIAN GILLERS
    Contributing Reporter

Reverend Stephen White, infamous for preaching against homosexuality and sexual promiscuity at Yale and other college campuses, now faces charges that he solicited sex from a teenage boy in a Philadelphia suburb.

In recent years, White -- known to students as "Brother Stephen" -- has made informal speeches on Cross Campus and Beinecke Plaza denouncing minorities, homosexuals, religious groups and aspects of popular culture.

White was arrested in June after he allegedly offered $20 to a 14-year-old boy in West Chester, Pa. for permission to perform oral sex on him.

According to the boy's sworn affidavit, White approached him in a green Ford van and asked if he knew of any strip clubs, adult book stores or shops that sold sexually explicit videos. When then the boy said he did not, White unsuccessfully attempted to lure the boy into the vehicle. White then told the boy he could "make some money" by letting White perform fellatio on him.

After the encounter, the boy reported the van's license plate number to his mother, who then contacted the police.

White will be tried on Nov. 24 on four charges, including criminal attempt to lure a child into a motor vehicle and criminal solicitation to involuntary deviant sexual intercourse.

Stan Billie, a detective at the West Chester Police Department, said he believed this may not be White's only sex offense, although no other victims have come forward.

"Based on my experiences, these things don't just happen once," Billie said.

At Yale, news of White's arrest elicited student reactions ranging from glee to indifference.

Cyd Cipolla, a former coordinator of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Cooperative, said she was in disbelief when she heard about White's alleged sex offense.

"I'm still kind of incredulous," she said. "How is it that anyone can engage in something so clearly taboo, especially someone who presents themselves as so entrenched in morality? I feel sorry for this man and for the boy who crossed his path."

David Margines '04 said he was not surprised because he felt White's moral standards were skewed from the start. He nevertheless saw a disconnect between White's speeches and his actions.

"He would quote bible passages incessantly," Margines said. "[Now] it seems the Bible would be against what he's done."

Margines also criticized White's decision to bring his child to his speeches.

"He's subjecting his kid to taunting, yelling crowds," he said. "Kids that age -- he was maybe three -- need sunshine, lollipops and rainbows, not scripture, brimstone, and hellfire."

Mike Schwartz '05 said he was pleased that White's apparent hypocrisy had been exposed.

"There's a sick satisfaction that someone so preachy is so flawed," he said. "I'm trying not to be thrilled about it."

Yale students remember White's rants with mixed amusement and disdain.

"He was too offensive to be taken seriously," Cipolla said. "I felt bad for being entertained, but I was just enjoying a spectacle."

Cipolla said she found White's exaggerated ramblings less insulting than subtle, unintentionally prejudiced comments.

Schwartz, however, objected more vehemently to White's message and tactics.

"It's hard not to get offended [by White]," Schwartz said. "He represents that parochial closed-mindedness -- that holier-than-thou attitude."

Though when I first read this headline I hoped it was about Fred Phelps. Oh well.

Re: Anti-gay preacher arrested for soliciting sex from a boy

Originally posted by ixnay

Though when I first read this headline I hoped it was about Fred Phelps. Oh well.
    Yeah, me too. Frankly, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.

On the one hand, I want to laugh hysterically. On the other, I'm horrified to think of all his other victims.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

A tragic situation. Let us pray for this sick man and anyone he may have hurt.
      "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

I can't help but being extremely happy with this, even though I've never heard of White before.

Yeah, I know it's bad: this guy is mentally ill and he had probably numerous victims. But really
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I swear, most religious homophobes use the bible as some defense mechinism. They're gay or at least bi, but are to terrified of going to hell or whatever they spend a lot of time shouting down gays and insulting them.

It's not surprising at all.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

People like Phelps should be followed by the press non-stop, so that we all can see he jujst loves going to the "Queers Inferno" every saturday night
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

It reminds me of the leader of the gay-turned-straight group "Xodus"(?) that was caught in a gay bar a decade or so after he claimed he wasn't gay anymore.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I've just read the forum of the Daily Pennsylvanian about it. I laughed my ass off when reading posts defending the priest The boy surely must have done so to slander Brother Stephen and the cause of righteous morals

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                  People like Phelps should be followed by the press non-stop, so that we all can see he jujst loves going to the "Queers Inferno" every saturday night
                  Phelps has something like nine kids. Unfortunately, a majority of them (5, IIRC) are lawyers and work exclusively for his "ministry."
                  When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

I've just read the forum of the Daily Pennsylvanian about it. I laughed my ass off when reading posts defending the priest The boy surely must have done so to slander Brother Stephen and the cause of righteous morals
                    He is not a priest, he is a Penecostal.
                    "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

It's not funny though - that's the typical defense in rape and child molestation cases - demonize the victim. And it often works, especially in a case like this where the strongest charges are solicitation and attempt, but without any physical evidence.

Ol' Bro' Steven will just say something along the lines of he got lost, and innocently stopped and asked for directions, and the rest of it is a damnable smear campaign by the unrepentent hellbound sodomite conspiracy.
                      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

I was hoping for Phelps, too, but I'm a bit taken aback by the instant assumption of guilt here. Same goes for that police statement prior to any trial, which seems blatently unprofessional.

Quick poll: how many of you are convinced of Kobe's guilt, with it's stronger evidence, and how many think it's likely he's raped before?
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

They say that many of the most vocal anti-gay people are themselves gay. They are supposedly filled with self-loathing and that is why they go out and bash homosexuals. I guess they can't admite to themselves that they are gay so they go out and bash other gay people turning other people into a serogate self.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I think all of your opinions on this are deplorable.

Yes, I think this guy is a sleeze but why the hell do you all assume he did it?

AH-so because some 14 year old says he did it, with no other evidence, it must be true, exactly!

Innocent untill proven guilty anyone?

If this guy is as loud a mouthed piece of trash as described, how do we know the kid didnt hear a speech, was offended and made the allegations, or a friend or familly member was offended and convinced the kid to make the allegations?

WHY would he offer the kid $20 to give him a hummer? Dose that not seem a little reckless? None of this makes any sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
                              He is not a priest, he is a Penecostal.
                              Shi: I don't know the difference. Can you please explain it to me?
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X