The Peyton Manning debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Peyton Manning debate

Draft Luck, Cut Manning, and use the 28 million to get some decent players around Luck?

or

Draft Luck, Play him and let him grow under Manning's teachings?

or

Draft Luck, Play Peyton, and let Luck develop "normally"?
    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Draft Luck, Play Manning and let Luck carry a clipboard and develop his game. Assuming that Manning is able to play again.

Comment

So they're definitely drafting Luck? I always imagined before Manning's injury that the Colts would draft a 2nd or 3rd round developmental guy, develop him for 2 years or so while Peyton played and then bring him out. Guess they're going all in for Luck.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Mojotronica View Post
        Draft Luck, Play Manning and let Luck carry a clipboard and develop his game. Assuming that Manning is able to play again.
        That's an awful lot of money they could use to get some kind of a supporting cast though. Also, how likely is Manning to get hurt again? Will he be able to still throw like he did before? I think that he gets the $$ if he is there in March, so not really all that much time to evaluate his recovery...
        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

My preference hinges on Manning being healthy enough to play. If he's not, I'm always skeptical of the idea of dumping a rookie QB on the field to adjust to the NFL on the job. I think it can ruin a good QB prospect.

Comment

Dumping a rookie in there with the way they played this season will probably be disastrous. The Colts are garbage without Peyton.

You really think the Colts will do Peyton dirty like that by just cutting him, though? I don't know. He's done too much for the Colts for them to be like that. I know it's business but I can't see them not doing right by him.
            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Mojotronica View Post
              Ditto.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                Dumping a rookie in there with the way they played this season will probably be disastrous. The Colts are garbage without Peyton.

You really think the Colts will do Peyton dirty like that by just cutting him, though? I don't know. He's done too much for the Colts for them to be like that. I know it's business but I can't see them not doing right by him.
                It would be a public relations disaster if the Colts appeared to be snubbing Manning. Whatever they do, they have to get Manning to make an appearance supporting it.

Comment

Keep Peyton then trade him in 2012, Draft Luck, Win Superbowls.
                  Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO View Post
                    Draft Luck, Play Peyton, and let Luck develop "normally"?

Do whatever Green Bay did with Favre/Rodgers. Seems to have worked out for them.
                    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

At least Peyton would likely be far more gracious to Luck than Favre was to Rodgers.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Peyton Manning has class. His contribution as a mentor, before and after Luck took over, would be extremely valuable. Best case scenario for Colts fans is Manning playing 2 years while Luck learns; then Manning as Number 2, still the mentor.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Well that's the real question. Does Peyton have just two more years in the tank?

Marino played 17 seasons, 20 seasons for Favre (or more?), 16 for Elway, 16 for Montana, 18 for Unitas. Manning has 13 now (well 12 since he was off this whole year), do you think he'd bow out after 15?
                          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I can see him wanting to keep his ties with Indy. Play a couple more, back up a couple more, then coach or go the Denver-Elway route.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                              Peyton Manning has class. His contribution as a mentor, before and after Luck took over, would be extremely valuable. Best case scenario for Colts fans is Manning playing 2 years while Luck learns; then Manning as Number 2, still the mentor.
                              I agree with this totally. However, I know Peyton and I really think he would have a hard time being a backup if he was able to play. This year on the sidelines has been very frustrating for him. I think that as long as he is able to play then he will want to be the man. Problem is that no one yet knows if he is able to comeback yet and the deadline to do something is 90 days away.

I think Irsay and Peyton will sit down with the Docs and make a decision after the season is over. Irsay will put a lot of stock in what Peyton will want I believe, but at the end of the day he HAS to rebuild that team and $28million goes a long way....

Comment

Working...
                              X