This Game Sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Game Sucks

Honestly, all these years of work and this is what you came up with? The hex tiles are nice, and maybe a few changes to the battle system are interesting, but what do we really have here? This is basically Civ4 with some stuff taken out, which is terrible since I thought Civ4 was a game made for 5 year olds. Basically all the maintenance system has been boiled down to happiness. Somehow, they even managed to make it more repressive than the maintenance system in Civ4. I just love how my size 1 cities are angry on king level with 3 cities total. Yes, 3 cities total and my cities are unhappy the minute I build it. Even Civ4 had less of a repressive system than this.

Do you just want to turn this into OCC? Is this what we're moving towards? Each ****ing game you put out you somehow get it in your head that there's jut TOO MANY GOD DAMN cities on the map! You even have a ****ing trait for India that actually discourages buildings cities. What? Are you ****ing insane? I won't even get started on the civ traits because...well, obviously you didn't think things through very well. The barbarian bonuses as civ traits is just laugh out loud stupid. I mean I realize you only put MP in the game because you were forced to in order to get good reviews and sell it, but this? Seriously?

So basically your only options to stop unhappiness in the early game is resources. Of course the whole resource idea was flawed from the beginning anyway, but lets just put EVEN MORE emphasis on resources because that's the way they roll at Firaxis. Take something broken and emphasize it, pure genius at work. They even "simplified" the buildings available down to almost nothing. Everywhere I look I see "simplification" which is code for "we think you're too stupid to handle this so we're going to take some more stuff out of the game." Now your only real way to fix unhappiness is in classical age and you have to build a ****ing circus. Yes, I am not kidding here. Unless of course you're egypt, then you can build a burial chamber, which is just slightly overpowered I would think.

Honestly, I can't think of a reason to play this game at this point. They took everything bad about civ4 and took it up a notch. The game is designed for people that only want to build like maybe 5 cities at most. In fact, the game FORCES you to do that. What ****ing game can you think of that pretty much forces players to play a certain way and puts so many constraints on what can be done? God, I knew not to get my hopes up, but I really thought it would at least be better than this.

EyesOfNight! What happened to your original handle?
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Well since I thought Civ4 sucked, and since Apolyton is dead pretty much, I went with something else. Somehow they have managed to make every release worse than the last. I am seriously predicting now that Civ6 is going to be one big massive city that takes up 40 tiles. There won't even be settlers or anything else.

Comment

You can have smooth growth curves from Turn 1 onward to massive, sprawling empires. Yes, resources are key as are certain buildings. Beyond that, though, Social Policies are key.
        I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

i don't think the game sucks. i think the publisher sucks. this game was obviously not ready for release. 16 thousand downloads according to steam, and innumerable tech support queries. my guess is that 10% can't play yet because the programmers didn't have time to rigorously beta test all hardware configurations. the game even crashed with the high-end computer in greg's ustream...

the end results is that we, the players, are alpha testing for the publisher. it's cheaper for them. the proper version will be sold as an add-on. ka-ching!

hell, even my beyond the sword installation doesn't run properly yet. it still has serious memory leaks. every now and then i have to quit the game just to kill all the .exe incarnations of civ4 that have straddled into the RAM, like lost souls.

2k, can i get my money back while you sort out your own problems?

Comment

Yin do you even play MP? If not, don't even bother posting.

Comment

Hey Yin, welcome back!
              Formerly known as "CyberShy"
              Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Thanks! I've been lurking. Place looks great, by the way.
                I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

Originally posted by DriXnaK View Post
                  Yin do you even play MP? If not, don't even bother posting.
                  Are you trolling? If so, awesome. Have a great time.

Are you trying to learn how to play Civ5? Well, then...

Comment

Honestly, I can't think of a reason to play this game at this point.

and since Apolyton is dead pretty much...
                    Okay then. Goodbye.

Enjoy Modern Warfare 2.

Comment

I cant help but feel the 'stay and continue whining' option is going to be the order of the day
                      Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Funny how that goes, isn't it?

Comment

I'll ask again Yin, are you playing MP at all? Last I remember you were a Deity playing noob in Civ2. I also don't need you to teach me anything, and I have never found your posts useful at all. You're obviously just an SP noob.

Comment

But he has a lot more experience with Civ5 than you have though.
                            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

What he is is an SP beta tester and he's the reason this game has turned out the way it did and the reason Civ4 turned out the way it did. These SP idiots have ****ed the game beyond being playable. Apparently they don't understand simple concepts like removing options from a game decreases the skill gap. Got to make sure the game is accessible though so make sure NO ONE GETS AHEAD. GETTING AHEAD IS BAD! Make sure everyone builds 3 cities ONLY.

Comment

Working...
                              X