Lazy Days of Summer Sxn Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lazy Days of Summer Sxn Game

I’m thinking that as we move into summer we should start another succession game -- something simple, something easy -- the lazy hazy days of summer. My current working thought is: each player gets to found one and only one city -- so seven players, seven cities; nine players, nine cities; (211 players, 32 cities because we’ll never get through the roster.) We are effectively a conclave of mayors, running our collective city-states. You run your city & any available units on the map during your set of turns -- at the end, place your city on either domestic or military advisor (Auto). Next player opens & plays his city, the available units, and then puts his city back onto automatic status. So we cycle through…

Conquered cities are placed on domestic or military advisor & left that way for the rest of the game. “Free” cities via huts are dealt with in the same way. During the player’s turn, he can micro manage his city anyway he wants to, but the remaining empire is run by the delegated domestic & military advisors. (If you want, you can help RB whatever is in the works in any city.)

I’m also thinking that we should use the “go-to” command and/or the long movement as much as possible. By setting up the automatic movement we’ll make the turns faster, have less flexibility and hamstring ourselves with fewer degrees of freedom. So the “available units” are those not on auto-pilot -- at least half of the settlers/engineers should also be on automatic (once the entire set of cities are founded.)

Fortified units can attack out of their cities when the attack is at the door. Units can also be called up to move up to three spaces from cities to chase down bandits, barbarians, invaders and other riff-raff. -- This is the only time when a player can disturb the otherwise preplanned city activity of a fellow mayor. Naturally, said units should be returned to the appropriate city as soon as possible after the emergency is over.

Players may choose the governments of Republic or Democracy, or if ALL agree, Communism. And just like these governments, we agree to work one or two months a year & delegate or go on vacation for the rest of the time.

Up for discussion -- do we want an “extra” city for all to play with -- perhaps the capital, or SSC? Do we want some “city rules” such as each city must provide a militia unit, a settler for the common good, (can opt for an addition settler for the city’s own development), and two other units for the national defense (one for the away team and one for domestic security)? Do we want to have a friendly competition for the grandest city among our fellow mayors (which of course will only add risk that the entire republic could go down in the soup…)

As pointed out to me before, we’re planning on MGE, Deity, Large Map & Raging Hordes, because the conclave of mayors want the room for hunting and have targets to shoot at.

Players will play the lesser of: 15 turns or two hours real time the first round, 10 turns or two hours real time each successive round -- short write up should take no more than fifteen minutes of that time. After all, this is a lazy effort, minimal thought, reasonable challenge. But since we don’t want to be too lazy about this, each player will play within 48 hours of the previous player’s post, otherwise it is an automatic skip. If we have at least five players by the end of this month, we’ll kick off June first; otherwise we’ll start with the summer solstice.
    Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Hmmmmmmm

SG[1]
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

sounds interesting.
      The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

i'm in.
        "the bigger the smile, the sharper the knife"
        "Every now and again, declare peace. it confuses the hell out of your enemies."

Comment

I'd say we (ie, I'm in) need the SSC as public domain, otherwise it will not serve as an SSC

We also need a period of player control for captured cities, otherwise they will take forever to become productive. Besides, why else would we conquer them, except to manage and extract as much wealth as possible from them?

The primary problem is the time limit. I for one always play Civ while watching something on the tube, so I get distracted easily. Forcing us to play within 48 hrs is tough enough…
          (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
          (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
          (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Finally got my home computer set up.

Count me in, Old'n'slow, as my comp is no longer so old'n'slow.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Interesting.......
              I think I'll join this one....
              Methinks the capital, if feasible, should be SSC and public domain.
              Clarification requested: Do we move the units supported from our cities, and put the rest on GoTo, or...what?
              April City Planner in the 3rd Civ2 Democracy Game
              Read Sluggy Freelance! Watch Homestar Runner! Papa Smurf is a Communist!

Comment

And then, of course, we have the problem that GoTo sucks…

Also, we can't really do incremental rushing on governed cities. They have a tendency to suddenly shift their goal when you change production to increment and then change back to let the governor resume command.

That's why I never used governers after the first experiments with them.
                (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Question: When one automates a city there are three options: Military, Trade or both. Can we at the end of our designated play period choose the 'both' option.

Comment

We have in order of sign up:

Old n Slow
                    atomant
                    Straybow
                    obiwan18
                    Bob_Smurf42

with SG 1 & Hydey on the yet to commit list.

Two votes for a common SSC.

Straybow, if you want to fade out for 45 minutes out of every TV hour, feel free to only count the 15 minutes of playing time during commercials -- besides with the majority of the empire on automatic, play “should” be easy. The goal here is simple, easy, lazy.

Bob_Smurf42, any unit “flashing” is available for movement. Any unit “lost” (sometimes I’ll see a unit on ‘go to’ step forward, then step back, then step forward again -- clearly this unit could use a little help & no mayor would begrudge you that freedom, with similar courtesies expected in return), same story. Commodity choices and use of arriving camels/trucks are up to the player actively on the job.

Atomant, the choice of Military, Domestic, or Both is of course up to the mayor of the city.

I don’t think that any of us use governors -- hence the new experience for us. I tried them recently on Prince level -- had half of my cities on automatic for a while to see what would happen -- most ended up building white goods, but one started a Wonder (didn’t get it finished in time, however) I haven’t checked to see if a wonder started, then automated, would stay wonder building either…

As far as captured cities go, just because they are on automatic doesn’t mean that they are not valuable, nor provide useful service. I’m willing to consider a modification mid game or later for up to three turns of player control solely for the generation of camels & trucks depending upon the trade routes already in place, but otherwise I think that the new cities to the republic don’t get equal rights, don’t get mayor council votes and don’t get player controlled services. Of course, this also means that existing mayors don’t get extra cities to control and gain all of that unequal extra power.

Similarly, new cities may cause disruption to the democracy with significant infrastructure loss -- when the conqueror steps in, citizen placement & general luxury levels will need to account for this -- until appropriate infrastructure is in place. If the new city is in a critical military situation, then that advisor should be in charge & stuff RB’d as required.

Just because a city is on automatic doesn’t mean that the citizen placement will be ideal -- we’re all going to want our folks to do the best for the country as a whole.

Comment

It might be that governers only go berzerk when incremental rushing units. I think once you've rushed anything to completion the governer won't change it? Anybody know?

Comment

Hmm. OK, why not... Planning a lazy summer anyway.
                        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

June 1st -- Summer is here!

And we're off.

We have Mayor Rudy of the Aztecs, (so please be sure to change the names of the cities

Started with a hut & a special in view, moved to pop the hut (93,93) 8 for those with hut finder (not me -- I need to get the magic dll file) & was reworded with 50g. No techs at start, so we probably have a little room & otherwise friendly territory.

-3850 Found Oldetown with a whale, buff & a hidden special (I think), lots of grass & water -- thinking that it might be a decent SSC.

move the other settler south

-3550 Discover Alphabet, opt for Code of Laws (want to get to Republic of course, therefore CB is not critical)

-3400 Wandering warrior pops a hut for HBR

-3300 Found Slowville & set to Auto (Both).

The auto for Domestic wanted to start off with a Barracks; Military & Both gave a warrior as first choice (so Slowville is on Both).
                          Attached Files

Comment

when do i play...pleeeeeease can't i play? I WANNA PLAY.

Comment

I guess I am lazy enough to be in .
                              Let me know.
                              Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Working...
                              X